Quit agitation, return to festival: Mamata Banerjee to RG Kar protesters after SC asks junior doctors to resume work
Kolkata/IBNS: Soon after the Supreme Court asked the junior doctors, who are on ceasework protesting against the RG Kar rape-murder, to resume work, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday gave a call to focus on festivity leaving behind one-month long massive agitation which was driven by masses.
Speaking at the state headquarters Nabanna, Mamata said, "Protests have taken place for a month. Now I would request all protesters to get back to Durga Puja and festivities."
"I would appeal to the CBI to deliver justice soon," she added.
The Chief Minister claimed half of the demands of the junior doctors have been accepted.
Even if junior doctors have any more demand, the Chief Minister said she is ready for discussion.
The Supreme Court has directed junior doctors, who are on ceasework protesting against the rape and murder of a 31-year-old trainee doctor at Kolkata's RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, to resume their services.
The advocate representing the junior doctors claimed the protesters are not confident to resume work over the threats they are still receiving.
Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud said no action will be taken against the junior doctors if they resume work by 5 pm on Tuesday.
The CJI said the court will not be able to restrain the state government from taking action if the junior doctors continue with their protests.
The CJI said, "We can record that if doctors resume to work, no adverse action but if they do not resume work as doctors then we cannot restrain state govt from taking actions"
"In order to create a sense of confidence we state that in the event that doctors come to work by 5 PM tomorrow, not adverse actions.....if there is continuous abstention from work despite the facilities given there will be likelihood of action in future.
"We know what is happening on the ground, but doctors must now come back to work, they cannot say senior doctors are working so we will not work, we have put everyone on notice."
The State's counsel, advocate Kapil Sibal claimed in the hearing that 23 doctors have died due to the junior doctors' ceasework.
In the previous hearing held last month, the CJI had urged the junior doctors to resume work restraining the government from any action against them.
In the third hearing, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court that the CCTV footage which has been handed over was of only 27 minutes.
Advocate Kapil Sibal, who is representing the State, said the footage was handed over to the CBI in its entirety.
The Solicitor General said the victim's body was found in semi-naked state.
The victim's body had injury marks, said the Solicitor General.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Bengaluru shock: Ex-ISRO staffer strangles wife, waits for police at home
A 65-year-old former employee of the Indian Space Research Organisation was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly killing his wife at their residence in south Bengaluru, media reports said.

Galgotias apologises over robodog row, blames ‘ill-informed’ representative for AI summit controversy
New Delhi/IBNS: Facing mounting criticism over a viral robodog video, Galgotias University has issued a fresh apology, its third clarification within two days.

Modi meets Serbian, Finnish leaders: Push for trade boost and strategic cooperation
Indian PM Narendra Modi discussed ways to deepen cooperation in areas such as defence, manufacturing, DPI, fertilisers and infrastructure during his meeting with Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić.

Over 70 Navies unite in Visakhapatnam! President Murmu sends powerful maritime message
Indian President Droupadi Murmu witnessed the International Fleet Review at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Wednesday, an event where Navies of more than 70 countries are participating.
Latest News

Fears of US–Iran war grow as military preparations accelerate: Report

Fears of US–Iran war grow as military preparations accelerate, Axios reports

'No reason to believe India changed stance': Russia rejects US claim on oil imports

Bengaluru shock: Ex-ISRO staffer strangles wife, waits for police at home

