Supreme Court rejects Gujarat govt's plea to remove criticisms against it in Bilkis Bano case
New Delhi/IBNS: The Supreme Court Thursday rejected the Gujarat government's plea to remove criticisms made in its order related to the release of Bilkis Bano's convicts.
The state requested the removal of certain remarks against it in the apex court's order overruling the premature release of 11 men convicted of raping Bilkis Bano and killing her family during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
The Gujarat government plea highlighted the court's observation that it had "acted in collusion and colluded with the convicts".
The state government stated the comment to be inappropriate and against the record of the case, and also biased against the petitioner.
However disagreeing with the argument, a bench of Justice BV Nagarathna and Justice Ujjal Bhuyan sad: "Having carefully gone through the Review Petitions, the order under challenge and the papers annexed therewith, we are satisfied that there is no error apparent on the face of the record or any merit in the Review Petitions, warranting reconsideration of the order impugned."
Earlier in July, the top court had dismissed interim bail petitions filed by two convicts - Radheyshyam Bhagwandas and Rajubhai Babulal.
The court also noted convicts could only be released by the state that tried them in the first place; which is Maharashtra in this case. "The exercise of power by the state of Gujarat is an instance of usurpation of power and abuse of power," the court had said.
In passing this order the court also came down heavily on its judgment of May 2022, delivered by Justice Ajay Rastogi (retired), which allowed the convicts to appeal to the Gujarat government for their early remission.
The convicts got the order "through fraudulent means", the judges said. They also noted that the Gujarat government should have sought a review of the 2022 order.
The convicts were released by Gujarat on grounds of an obsolete 1992 remission policy, which has since been superseded by a law in 2014 that prohibits the release of convicts in cases of capital offence.
The convicts were given a hero's welcome, with garlands and sweets, and they were seen sharing the stage with a BJP MP and an MLA. Convict Radheshyam Shah even started practicing law, the Supreme Court was told during an 11-day hearing last year of petitions, including one by Bilkis Bano.
Bano was 21 years old and was five months pregnant when she was gang raped. The 11 convicts allegedly killed seven members of her family, including her three-year-old daughter during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese
New Delhi/IBNS: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday congratulated his Australian counterpart Anthony Albanese on his wedding to financial services professional and women's advocate Jodie Haydon, calling the Australian leader “a good friend”.

Massive U-turn! Mamata Banerjee finally bows to Centre’s Waqf law after months of fierce resistance
Kolkata/IBNS: In a major shift from its earlier stance, the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government has accepted the controversial Waqf (Amendment) Act passed by Parliament earlier this year, media reports said.

Delhi Police serves notice to private hospitals for doctors who studied in Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE, China
New Delhi/IBNS: Intensifying its investigation into the Red Fort blast case, Delhi Police has now issued notices to all private hospitals across the national capital, asking them to submit records of doctors who obtained their medical degrees abroad.

'My name is Sophie': Meet saree-clad AI teacher developed by 17-year-old UP student
Lucknow/IBNS: In a remarkable advancement for low-cost educational technology, a 17-year-old student from Uttar Pradesh's Bulandshahr has engineered an Artificial Intelligence (AI) teacher robot.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

