Afghanistan: Taliban governor killed in Balkh, ISIS claims responsibility
Kabul: Terror group Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the killing of the Taliban governor of Afghanistan's northern Balkh province.
He has been identified as Mohammad Dawood Muzammil.
According to reports, he was killed in his office located in Afghanistan's Mazar-e Sharif city on Thursday.
He is the most senior Taliban official to be killed since the militants returned to power in 2021, reports BBC.
ISIS has taken responsibility for several attacks in Afghanistan ever since the insurgent force came to power in the country.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter that the governor had been "martyred in an explosion by the enemies of Islam", reports BBC.
According to reports, Mohammad Dawood Muzammil had taken the lead role in fighting against ISIS during his previous posting as governor of Nangarhar.
#ISIS claimed today's suicide bombing in Mazar-e-Sharif #Afghanistan targeting Mohammad Dawood Muzammil, a top Taliban official + governor for Balkh. Comes day after claim of killing a Taliban official in Herat, marking rebound in country after quiet Febhttps://t.co/eJrZ8t2Flx pic.twitter.com/j23Nd8Njkf
— Rita Katz (@Rita_Katz) March 9, 2023
SITE Intelligence Group Director Rita Katz tweeted: " #ISIS claimed today's suicide bombing in Mazar-e-Sharif #Afghanistan targeting Mohammad Dawood Muzammil, a top Taliban official + governor for Balkh. Comes day after claim of killing a Taliban official in Herat, marking rebound in country after quiet Feb."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

