Afghanistan: Taliban stopping female students from attending university after ban on higher education
Kabul: Afghan authorities have stopped letting female students attend universities following the decision of the Taliban (sanctioned by the UN for terrorism) to suspend higher education for women in the country, a female Afghan student told Sputnik on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, the country's ministry of higher education prohibited girls from attending universities and other higher education institutions.
"I went to university this morning, but I was not allowed in there. It is not only me, but also dozens of other female students came back home hopeless," the woman, who had been studying at one of Kabul's private universities, said.
The Sputnik correspondent reported, citing other sources, that armed members of the Taliban were controlling entrances to universities and not letting women in.
Photos published on social media showed that students of Nangarhar University in the Afghan city of Jalalabad went to protest against the Taliban's ban.
The decision of the Afghan authorities has been harshly criticized by a number of foreign organizations and officials, with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Tuerk saying that the move was in clear violation of Afghanistan's obligations under international law.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell stated that the bloc strongly condemns the Taliban's decision, which "deprives Afghanistan of women's contributions to society."
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

