Alexei Navalny's spokeswoman says his body will be held for next two weeks
Russian President Vladimir Putin's critic Alexei Navalny's family has claimed his body will not be handed over for the next two weeks.
Alexei Navalny representative claimed authorities said his body would be kept under "chemical examination" for another 14 days.
"The investigators told the lawyers and Alexey's mother that they would not give them the body. The body will be under some sort of 'chemical examination' for another 14 days," his spokeswoman Kira Yarmysh posted on X.
There is no confirmation about the location of the Russian leader's body from the country's authority so far.
Alexei Navalny's wife Yulia has accused the authorities of hiding it.
In a video on Monday vowing to continue his work to fight for a "free Russia", Yulia Navalnaya directly accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of killing her husband, reported BBC.
In 2020, Navalny had survived an attempt to kill him by nerve agent Novichok.
What happened to Navalny?
47-year-old Alexey Navalny died in an Arctic prison on Friday (February 16, 2024).
He was serving a 19-year term.
Alexey Navalny felt unwell in prison after a walk and lost consciousness. He received all necessary resuscitation measures, but they did not yield positive results, the Federal Ptnitentiary Service stated as quoted by Russia's Sputnik news agency.
President Vladimir Putin did not comment on the issue since his death was announced.
Several world leaders, including Canadian PM Justin Trudeau and US President Joe Biden, have slammed Putin over the politician's death.
Kremlin's reaction to comments made by western leaders on Navalny's death
Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov described the comments made by Western leaders against Navalny's death as 'boorish'.
"In conditions where there is no information, we consider it absolutely inadmissible to make such, let's say, frankly boorish statements," the spokesman was quoted as saying by TASS.
"This is inappropriate for statesmen from whose mouths we have heard such statements. And these statements, of course, cannot harm the head of our state, but they absolutely do not benefit those who make such statements," he said.
EU reaction
The European Union on Monday (February 19, 2024) said it is outraged by the death of the Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny, for which the ultimate responsibility lies with President Putin and the Russian authorities.
"Russia must allow an independent and transparent international investigation into circumstances of his sudden death. The EU will spare no efforts to hold Russia’s political leadership and authorities to account, in close coordination with our partners; and impose further costs for their actions, including through sanctions," read the EU statement.
US, UK envoys paid floral tributes
Meanwhile, envoys of the US and the UK paid floral tributes to the deceased leader on Sunday (February 18, 2024).
US ambassador Lynne Tracy and Britain's Nigel Casey were pictured paying their respects at a memorial in Moscow, reported BBC.
Sharing an image of Lynne Tracy paying floral tribute to the Russian opposition leader, the US Embassy in Moscow posted on X: "Today at the Solovetsky Stone we mourn the passing of Alexey Navalny and all other victims of political repression in Russia."
"Our hearts go out to his family, friends and supporters. His strength is an inspiration. We honor his memory," the Embassy said.
Casey wrote on X: "In memory of Alexei Navalny @FCDOGovUK."
Detention
Meanwhile, rights group OVD-Info on Saturday claimed more than 400 people were detained by Russian authorities for paying tributes to President Vladimir Putin's key opponent Alexei Navalny across various cities in the country.
"401 DETAINED," the group said on its website.
It said people were detained across 36 cities in Russia.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

