Amnesty International urges government to immediately restore X in Pakistan
Amnesty International has demanded the immediate restoration of micro-blogging site X in Pakistan.
The social media platform, X, formerly Twitter, was blocked in Pakistan on 17 February 2024 and has remained blocked since then.
🇵🇰 PAKISTAN: It has been 29 days since the Government of Pakistan has blocked access to “X”, formerly known as Twitter, in the country.
— Amnesty International South Asia, Regional Office (@amnestysasia) March 16, 2024
Amnesty International is one of 28 civil society organizations that have signed a joint statement calling for immediate restoration of the…
This came a week after mobile services were shut down across the country on election day, 8 February 2024, read the Amnesty International website.
Amnesty International said it is one of 28 civil society organizations that have signed a joint statement calling for immediate restoration of the platform.
The group posted on X: "It has been 29 days since the Government of Pakistan has blocked access to “X”, formerly known as Twitter, in the country."
"Amnesty International is one of 28 civil society organizations that have signed a joint statement calling for immediate restoration of the social media platform, and urge the Pakistani authorities to uphold the rights to freedom of expression and access to information under the country’s international human rights commitments," group said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

