Baloch leader demands abolishment of Counter Terrorism Department in Balochistan
Baloch leader Dr Mahrang Baloch has demanded the abolishment of the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD), Balochistan and even termed it a death squad.
Addressing the media here, the Baloch leader was quoted as saying by The News International that a commission on human rights violations in Balochistan should be formed and the Ministry of Interior must apologise for the ‘crimes’ openly.
Mahrang Baloch said the protest was for the rights of the people of Balochistan.
“We came to Islamabad in a long march with women. We have come from Turbat to raise our voice against enforced disappearances. We demand serious steps against enforced disappearances and killing of Baloch people,” she was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
She said the Punjab Police had cracked down on the protesters in Dera Ghazi Khan, arrested them and tortured them.
Pakistan's caretaker government on Monday said 290 Baloch protesters, who were arrested during a demonstration in Islamabad against enforced disappearances and extrajudicial killings, have been released from prison and police custody, media reports said.
In a statement on X (formerly Twitter), the interior ministry said the decision was taken in light of the negotiations held between the Baloch demonstrators and a cabinet committee, reported Dawn News.
The march, which commenced from Turbat city over the alleged extrajudicial killing of a Baloch youth by Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) personnel, reached the federal capital last week.
The Islamabad Police allegedly used force to take a large section of people in custody.
In light of the crackdown, the march led by the Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC) had converted into a sit-in outside the National Press Club, reported Dawn News.
The BYC on Saturday gave a three-day ultimatum to quash the cases registered against students and activists and release all of the protesters.
In its statement issued today, the interior ministry confirmed the release of 290 detained protesters, the Pakistani newspaper reported.
“Peaceful protests are the right of every citizen but no one will be allowed to take the law into their own hands,” it said.
BYC posted on X: "After a long struggle, 160+ Baloch protesters are released now. The statement of @ICT_Police is based on false and illogical. Still, 100+ are in police custody and some of them are missing, @ICT_Police not providing the correct information to us and the media, and Dr Zaheer Baloch is missing we are concerned about his life."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

