Brazil: At least 45 killed in police's anti-narcotics operations
Sao Paulo: At least 45 people have been killed in police operations against drug cartels in three Brazilian states.
At least 10 people were killed in a shootout in the Complexo da Penha neighborhood in the latest operation in Rio de Janeiro, police said.
Earlier, 16 people were killed in clashes during a five-day police operation in Sao Paulo state, dubbed 'Operation Shield'.
Officials in Brazil's north-eastern state of Bahia say 19 suspects have been 'eliminated' since Friday.
Fifty-eight people were arrested during the operation in Sao Paulo state, which reportedly began on Thursday after a police special forces officer was killed in the coastal city of Guaruja.
According to local media reports, the police seized 385 kg of narcotics as well as firearms during the raids.
Brazilian Justice Minister Flavio Dino criticized the operation in Guaruja. He alleged that the police response was not proportionate to the crimes committed.
During an interview Tuesday, Sao Paulo state governor Tarcisio de Freitas said two police officers were among those killed during the operation.
Amnesty International said the police operation in Guaruja observed "clear signs of revenge for the death of a police officer".
A leader of a drug-trafficking group and another trafficker were among the 10 people killed Wednesday in Rio de Janeiro, according to local media reports.
Four people including a police officer were injured in this operation.
"The state has no explanation for turning life of the favelas into hell like this," said Taliria Petrone, a member of the Rio state legislature, strongly condemning the operation.
Schools around Complexo da Penha were closed Wednesday and about 3,220 students were forced to stay home.
Home visits organized by the National Health Service were also suspended due to security concerns.
The Instituto Fogo Cruzado, a research organization on armed violence in Brazil, described the raids as "genocide".
In a statement released after police raids in Rio, the agency said there had been 33 such incidents in the city since the start of the year in which a total of 125 people had been killed.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

