British-Indian student Aditya Verma, who was facing trial in Spain over his in-flight 'Taliban' remark, acquitted
A Spanish court has acquitted an Indian-British man who landed himself in trouble after he joked to friends about blowing up a flight from London Gatwick to Menorca.
If he had been found guilty, the university student faced a fine of up to €22,500 (£19,300) and a further €95,000 in expenses to cover the cost of the jets being scrambled, reported BBC.
The student was identified as Aditya Verma.
According to reports, he commented on Snapchat when he was on his way to the island of Menorca with friends in July 2022.
The message, sent before Mr Verma departed Gatwick airport, read as quoted by BBC: "On my way to blow up the plane (I'm a member of the Taliban)."
During the hearing, he told the Madrid court that he never intended to cause public distress or public harm.
The UK security services reportedly flagged the information to Spanish authorities after the message was picked up by them.
A court in Madrid heard it was assumed the message triggered alarm bells after being picked up via Gatwick's Wi-Fi network, the British media reported.
The court was informed that two Spanish F-18 fighter jets were sent to flank the aircraft after the message was received.
One of the jets followed the flight till it landed in Menorca. The plane was searched extensively there.
Verma, who was 18 at the time of the incident, was arrested.
After being kept in the police cell for two days, he was later released on bail.
British intelligence agencies MI5 and MI6 questioned him after he arrived in the UK.
He later returned to his home in Kent.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

