Canada holds back tax refunds of ineligible taxpayers for receiving CERB
Ottawa/IBNS: The government of Canada is reportedly holding back all or part of tax refunds of some taxpayers saying that they were ineligible to receive Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) payments
The auditor general was reported saying in Dec that $4.6 billion in pandemic benefits went to ineligible recipients.
That $4.6 billion total includes other pandemic programs such as the wage subsidy and the caregiver benefit.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has reportedly been sending notices to CERB recipients it believes have received funds in error.
The federal government has legally 36 months from the time benefits are paid to confirm that a payment was proper.
Over one million such notices have been sent out as of mid-April, with roughly 775,000 people having repaid nearly $1.4 billion so far, having recovered $237 million through offsets such as holding back tax refunds, said the agency.
The agency added those who believe they were eligible for the payments can ask for a review.
"Many factors can influence a taxpayer's debt. That is why we encourage Canadians to contact the CRA if they have any questions about their file," a CRA statement said.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

