Canada to no longer offer evacuation flights from Sudan over deteriorating security situation
Ottawa/IBNS: Evacuation flights out of crisis-hit Sudan would no longer be offered by Canada’s federal government due to Sudan’s deteriorating security situation.
Other commercial options through Port Sudan along the Red Sea are available for Canadians who want to leave Sudan, the federal government said in an updated travel notice issued Saturday night.
Canadians have been urged to avoid travelling to the Wadi Seidna Air Base, north of the capital, Khartoum, where countries including Canada have organized flights for their citizens and others, says the latest travel advisory of the federal government on Sudan.
This decision followed the federal officials’ confirmation of more than 375 Canadians flown out of Sudan on national and allied aircraft as of Friday, with at least one evacuation flight having taken place Saturday.
As of Friday, as many as 300 Canadians in Sudan were still seeking assistance.
During a virtual press conference on Saturday, Canada’s Defence Minister Anita Anand said that flights would continue for as long as possible with a warning that, “The window for opportunity at the airfield is closing.”
As many as 200 members to the region had been deployed by the Canadian Armed Forces, while HMCS Montreal and MV Asterix, a frigate and Naval Replenishment Unit Motor Vessel bound for the Indo-Pacific region, had been re-tasked with staying near Port Sudan.
In the meantime to learn more about what Canada can do to respond to the situation in Sudan, Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly has travelled to Kenya, where the Canadian embassy in Khartoum has since relocated.
Sudanese nationals in Canada, as of Sunday, can apply for free to extend their stay or change their status as a visitor, student or temporary worker.
A temporary halt on removals to Sudan has also been issued by the Canada Border Services Agency subject to some exceptions.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

