Canada: Toronto city’s budget chief warns of substantial hike in city’s property tax
Toronto/IBNS: Toronto’s budget chief Shelley Carroll, appointed by Mayor Olivia Chow last year, warns of a substantial property tax increase with the City grappling with a looming fiscal crisis.
“We really have reached a point where if we’re having to solve our own problems, it means a substantial increase,” Carroll told reporters. “We’re now being honest about what it takes to get the city you want.”
Toronto’s month and half long budget process which officially launches this week will be kicking off a series of public meetings at city hall and civic centres across Toronto with the Council ultimately voting on the final budget package on Feb 14.
Although Carroll was reported saying that the City's budget deficit topped $1.8 billion by November she did not provide specific figures on a proposed property tax increase acknowledging affordability as a key concern.
Despite signing a new deal with the province which will provide billions in relief over the next decade, the city still has on-going fiscal challenges.
Apart from large property tax increases, Carroll was reported saying that Toronto still needs a revenue tool that grows with the economy, like a sales tax, and added that many COVID-19-related costs are becoming permanent fixtures in some city departments and that needs to be reflected in the budget.
“Recovery is about admitting this is the new financial picture that we’re in,” she said.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

