China stops issuing ordinary visas to Japanese citizens, says Embassy
Beijing/UNI: China stopped issuing ordinary visas to Japanese citizens in connection with Tokyo's "discriminatory" requirement for Chinese travelers to submit negative PCR tests, the Chinese Embassy in Japan said.
"Starting today, the embassy and consulates of the PRC [People's Republic of China] in Japan are suspending the issuance of ordinary visas for Japanese citizens traveling to China," a statement read.
The decision came after Japan announced stricter quarantine measures for those arriving from China on December 30.
These include, in particular, mandatory COVID-19 testing and limiting to four the number of Japanese airports accepting Chinese flights.
Earlier on Tuesday, China also suspended the issuance of short-term visas to South Korean nationals after Seoul adopted a series of restrictive measures for those arriving from the country.
China considers such requirements "discriminatory," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said, adding that Beijing would take retaliatory measures.
In December, China's government started to gradually ease its "zero tolerance" policy towards COVID-19 cases, which had been the strictest in the world for almost three years. On January 8, obligatory PCR testing and centralized isolation for people arriving in China were canceled.
At the same time, the country has faced an increase in COVID-19 infections, forcing a number of countries, including the United States, Italy, Japan, and South Korea to tighten measures against passengers arriving from China.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

