Closure of Moscow Helsinki Group, ‘yet another blow to human rights’ in Russia: OHCHR
The court order closing down Russia’s oldest human rights organization, the Moscow Helsinki Group (MHG), is “yet another blow to human rights and civic space in the country”, said a Spokesperson for the UN rights office, OHCHR on Thursday.
Maria Hurtado said in a statement that the judgement was just the latest “in a series of actions against civil society”, journalists, other media and opposition groups and human rights defenders.
MHG was founded in 1976 by well-known dissidents and reported on human rights violations in the former Soviet Union (USSR) and later the Russian Federation, she noted. It’s named after the Helsinki accords, an international agreement signed by the Soviet Government which defended rights and fundamental freedoms.
Justice ministry intervention
Its closure was based on a Justice Ministry lawsuit alleging the organization was only registered to defend human rights in Moscow, and not in other parts of the country, arguing that it therefore lacked the correct registration.
According to news reports, MHG had always had a wider remit, and the group hit back at the ruling saying it would appeal, calling the measure “disproportionate” and vowing to continue with its work.
The lawsuit against MHG was based on an inspection by the Justice ministry last year, which the group says was illegal.
'Nationwide crackdown'
“This nationwide crackdown on independent journalism and dissenting voices has intensified since the Russian Federation’s armed attack on Ukraine”, said Ms. Hurtado.
She added that any restrictions to freedom of opinion and expression and freedom of association – core rights in democratic societies – “must conform to the strict tests of necessity and proportionality in the pursuit of a legitimate purpose.”
Stop gagging reporters
Russian authorities should refrain from moving to close the organization down or from “stifling reporting” on serious issues of legitimate public interest.
She said it was incumbent on the Government to “allow debate of diverse and plural voices, within society and in the media, in line with its human rights obligations.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

