Congo: Floods induced by torrential rain claim 23 lives
Brazzaville (Congo): At least 23 people were killed by floods caused by heavy rains across the Republic of the Congo, government spokesperson Thierry Moungalla said on Friday.
The 23 deaths were recorded in the departments of Likouala, Cuvette, and Niari.
According to an updated assessment, nine of the country's 12 departments have been affected, especially those bordering the Congo River.
In total, 336,560 people were affected, as 6,178 people were forced to move.
The floods have destroyed or damaged 26 health facilities, 120 schools, and about 64,000 houses in the affected areas.
Faced with this disaster, the government created a national solidarity fund with a sum of 2 billion CFA francs (about 3.32 million U.S. dollars) and authorised the opening of a bank account prepared to receive contributions.
The World Health Organization (WHO) warned last week of the risk of outbreaks of waterborne and vector-borne diseases in the country after weeks of widespread flooding.
According to estimates by experts cited by the WHO, the current rainfall is twice the average recorded in the 2022–2023 season.
The water level in the Ubangi River, the largest right-bank tributary of the Congo River, has reached an all-time high.
The water level of the Congo River, which separates Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of the Congo, and Kinshasa, the capital of the neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), has reached 6.2 metres above sea level, just below the 1961 record of 6.26 metres, local media reported, citing DRC authorities.
At least 300 people were killed in recent floods caused by heavy rains, the DRC government said earlier this month.
(With UNI/Xinhua inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

