Eighteen months after ban, classroom doors in Afghanistan must open for Secondary School girls: Save the Children
As schools across Afghanistan prepare for the new academic year next week, secondary school-aged girls must be allowed to go back to the classroom after an 18-month ban on their education, Save the Children said.
A failure by the Taliban to reverse this ban will drive up child marriage, exclude half of future generations from the workforce and entrench families further into poverty, profoundly damaging the country’s future, the child rights organization said.
More than 3 million girls who were previously enrolled in secondary school have been denied their right to education since the Taliban takeover.
Save the Children is calling for the ban to be lifted immediately and for girls to have full access to education when schools return on March 21.
Aaisha*,16, is desperate to continue her studies when she graduates from a sixth-grade community-based education class run by Save the Children in central Afghanistan. She said:
“Sixth grade is nothing for us – we want to continue to high school. If we only graduate from sixth grade, we can’t do anything. We can’t get a job; we can’t go to university.”
When asked about her aspirations for the future, Aaisha* said: “My first wish for the future is that girls are supported to go to high school. And the second wish is that girls are supported to go to university and complete [their] education.”
Her mother, Khadija*, 37, has four daughters all at the same Community Based Education Centre, including Aaisha*, and they are all about to have their education cut short.
Khadija* said: “I’m uneducated, and I can’t even read a road sign to know where I am, but I want my daughters to be able to do that.”
“If there are no opportunities for higher education, we need to marry our daughters at a younger age because it is not safe for them in the community.
“My future is not good, but I want my daughters to have a good future.”
Save the Children’s Acting Country Director for Afghanistan, Olivier Franchi, said:
“Afghanistan is the only country in the world that has banned girls above sixth grade from education, yet girls here are striving for a better future, and they know the best path to success is through school. When their education is cut short, they face an increased risk of early marriage, violence, abuse, and other forms of exploitation.
“Every day that girls are out of school is a wasted day – not only for them, but also for communities in desperate need of skilled doctors and teachers, and for the long-term economic development of the entire country.
“It is critical that girls are not left behind when schools reopen. We urge the Taliban to allow girls to go back to school without any further delays.”
*Name has been changed to protect anonymity
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

