Emmanuel Macron's erratic military policy shows lack of vision: Expert
Paris/UNI: French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a huge boost to military spending after years of advocating for cuts to the defense budget, a move that shows the president's lack of vision, Francois Asselineau, a French political expert and former presidential candidate, told Sputnik.
Macron said last week that he wanted to raise the 2024-2030 military budget to 413 billion euros ($449 billion) from the 295 billion euros planned for 2019-2025. He said this would help prepare for this century's challenges.
Asselineau, who ran against Macron in 2017, said an increase in military spending would afford the French army a much-needed upgrade, but he argued that Macron was simply surfing on the Ukrainian crisis without any long-term vision to guide his defense policy.
"He sails on sight and has no geopolitical vision," the expert said.
Asselineau pointed to a 2017 dispute between Macron and the armed forces chief, Pierre de Villiers, in which the general quit to protest the president's decision to slash military spending. He also said that the budget U-turn came "at the worst possible time," a day after more than a million people took to the streets across France on Thursday to protest changes to the minimum retirement age.
"The day after the demonstration, Macron announces colossal sovereign expenditure! It's pure provocation," the expert said.
He said that the military budget would obviously be financed by borrowing and increase the debt of future French generations. He suggested that the presidency might use borrowed money to pay for military assistance for Ukraine.
"What would be outrageous is for Macron to take advantage of this 'decision' to arm Ukraine, to provide Kiev with more equipment and ammunition, to lengthen further a war of attrition that Ukraine cannot win," Asselineau said.
"This sleight of hand would be outrageous. Everyone is re-arming in Europe; Germany, Poland, but notice that the peoples of Europe are never consulted on these political decisions," he added.
He argued that defense contractors and NATO were taking advantage of the Ukrainian crisis to increase their influence.
"France has every interest in leaving NATO as I have been advocating for a long time, to ensure our strategic independence," the expert said.
He said NATO belonged to the United States, and Germany stood closer to the US than to its neighbor France. Germany has been buying US jets and is planning to build a "European" missile defense shield together with the US and Israel.
"Germany always buys American, will never buy French and the Franco-German couple has never been a reality. Only France talks about it. Never do Germans mention the existence of such a couple… So the Franco-German friendship has simply become a fiction," the expert concluded.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

