Five skiers found dead in Swiss Alps, authorities searching for missing person
Bodies of five missing skiers have been found in the Swiss Alps, police said, while another remains missing.
Local authorities are searching to find the missing person.
A search operation was launched on Saturday (March 9, 2024) after the group went missing near the 3,706m high Tete Blanche mountain.
They had set off from Zermatt, home of the famous Matterhorn mountain, on a ski tour towards Arolla along the Swiss-Italian border, reported BBC.
Authorities had previously told the BBC that the skiers were all Swiss nationals, and range in age from 21 to 58 years old.
Police said teams were alerted on both sides of the route but severe weather hampered the operation.
Anjan Truffer, the head of Zermatt's air rescue service, told the BBC that the weather was so bad that "flying is not an option", with "very strong winds, heavy snow, high avalanche danger, and zero visibility".
Truffer said that the group may have been overcome by the bad weather, rather than struck by an avalanche, because they went missing on a part of the Zermatt Arolla route where the risk of avalanche is low
The incident is one of the deadliest reported in the Swiss Apls in recent times.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

