Germany to beef up security ahead of New Year's Eve
Berlin: German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser spoke out on Saturday in favour of tightening security measures ahead of New Year's Eve due to the additional threat posed by the Middle East crisis.
"Our operational forces have had to face blind rage time and again... The response must be tough action by the police and the judiciary," Faeser told German newspaper Tagesspiegel, promising that security agencies will be "extremely vigilant."
Security will also be increased at Berlin's four train stations, Faeser added.
The capital's emergency services will deploy an additional 500 federal police officers, the minister said.
"The reaction to Hamas terror and the war in Gaza has led to hatred and violence on our streets," Faeser said.
Earlier in the day, Berlin police banned a pro-Palestinian demonstration planned for December 31 in the city's Neukolln district, a police representative told the RBB24 broadcaster.
On Thursday, a poll conducted by the Institute for New Social Answers for the German newspaper Bild showed that 43% of German citizens feared last year's violent riots on New Year's Eve would repeat.
(UNI/ SPUTNIK)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

