Hamas delegation likely to return to Cairo on Mar 9 to continue Gaza ceasefire talks
The delegation of Palestinian movement Hamas may return to Cairo on March 9 to continue talks on a possible ceasefire in the Gaza Strip after it has left the Egyptian capital for consultations with its leadership, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing Egyptian officials familiar with the matter.
On Thursday, Hamas political office member Husam Badran told Sputnik that the ceasefire negotiations with Israel had entered a deadlock, adding that the Jewish country was "buying time for itself."
Hamas head in the Gaza Strip, Yahya Sinwar, who had almost not been involved in the negotiations until recently, now demands that Israel commit itself to negotiating a possible permanent ceasefire in the conflict-torn enclave, the report said. The request reportedly contradicts the stance of other Hamas officials, who allow for the possibility of a six-week pause in fighting.
At the same time, Sinwar is deemed to hope for a more profitable deal amid disagreements between the United States and Israel, the report also said.
On October 7, 2023, Hamas launched a large-scale rocket attack against Israel from Gaza and breached the border, killing 1,200 people and abducting around 240 others. Israel launched retaliatory strikes, ordered a complete blockade of Gaza, and started a ground incursion into the Palestinian enclave with the declared goal of eliminating Hamas fighters and rescuing the hostages. At least 30,800 people have been killed so far in the Gaza Strip, local authorities said.
On November 24, Qatar mediated a deal between Israel and Hamas on a temporary truce and the exchange of some of the prisoners and hostages, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. The ceasefire was extended several times and expired on December 1. More than 100 hostages are still believed to be held by Hamas in Gaza.
(With UNI Inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

