IMF approves $3 billion bailout package for Pakistan
Islamabad: The board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved a $3 billion bailout package for Pakistan, Reuters reported.
As part of this program, approximately $1.2 billion will be disbursed immediately to provide assistance to the cash-strapped South Asian country, IMF said.
Pakistan had previously reached a staff-level agreement with the IMF last month, which paved the way for securing crucial funding for the nation, which has been facing financial challenges.
The board's approval was a necessary step to enable the disbursement of the first installment of funds, with the remaining amount scheduled to be provided in subsequent installments.
"The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved a 9-month Stand-By Arrangement (SBA) for Pakistan for an amount of SDR2,250 million (about $3 billion, or 111 percent of quota) to support the authorities' economic stabilization program," the IMF said in a statement.
The approved arrangement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) comes at a challenging economic juncture for Pakistan.
The country has been facing a difficult external environment, including factors such as devastating floods, policy missteps, and various economic challenges.
These challenges have pushed the country’s economy into massive fiscal and external deficits, a rise in inflation, and a depletion of reserve buffers during the fiscal year 2023.
The IMF program aims to address these issues and provide support to stabilize Pakistan's economy.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

