Iran eliminates visa requirements for 33 nations, including Gulf states
Dubai: Iran announced that it was eliminating the need for visas for 33 nations, including Gulf nations like Saudi Arabia, with which Tehran had tense relations for many years before a recent reconciliation.
"The ministry of tourism believes that an open-door policy will showcase Iran's determination to engage with different countries of the world," reported Reuters, citing the semi-official ISNA.
The number of countries or territories whose citizens can visit Iran without a visa will climb to 45, the report said.
Following the years of tension between Iran and Saudi Arabia, the two oil-producing countries, this step will bridge the relations between these Gulf rivals, the report said.
In the past decade, Riyadh and Tehran have sided with warring parties in Syria, Iraq, and Yemen.
Attacks on Saudi oil infrastructure, which the West accuses Iran and its Arab proxy forces of carrying out, have threatened to plunge the Middle East into further conflict.
Iran has denied any role in those attacks.
Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to restore full diplomatic relations, severed in 2016, under a Chinese-mediated agreement in March.
In addition to Bahrain, with which Tehran has not yet fully restored ties, citizens of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar are also exempt from the need for a visa.
One country on the list that was allied with the West was Croatia, a tiny member of the European Union and NATO; other countries on the list were Lebanon, Tunisia, India, and various Central Asian, African, and "Muslim" nations, the report said.
"Russians will only profit from this visa exemption if they are visiting the country in groups," Reuters said, citing ISNA.
Omani nationals had been able to travel to Iran visa-free prior to this announcement.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

