Myanmar: Chinese-backed power plant shuts down operation
Washington: A Chinese-backed combined cycle power plant near Gantgawdaw Pagoda in Myanmar’s Arakan State’s Kyaukphyu Township recently stopped its operations, media reports said.
“The power plant has shut down its operations,” U Phoe San, a former Arakan State parliamentarian from Kyaukphyu Township. China is building port at Kyaukphyu, told The Economic Times.
The plant commenced its operation earlier this year.
“It is known that the thermal sensor system goes up and down to reuse the experimental heat energy. I think it’s a low level of technology. Electricity generated by this power plant is exported directly to mainland Myanmar, so there is no impact on the local residents,” a resident of Kyaukphyu told the newspaper.
The power plant will use 22 million cubic feet of gas per day from the Shwe natural gas project to produce 1 billion kWh per year. When the power plant operates, it will generate 135 MW of electricity at a rate of 8.59 cents per unit. It is intended to produce about 1,000 million kilowatt hours of power per year.
“As the thermal sensor system is not working, this plant cannot produce the 135 megawatts of electricity it is supposed to produce. If the megawatt is not enough, there will be difficulties in the processes that the junta will do,” said U Tun Lwin, a resident of Kyaukphyu and an observer of Chinese and Korean projects.
The Myanmar Investment Commission granted permission to Power China Resources Co., Ltd to build the power project in January 2020, and the plant is expected to be fully operational later this year, reports The Economic Times.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

