Nepal: Calls to investigate Maoist cantonment scam increasing
Kathmandu: Nepal is witnessing a growing demand from various sections of the society to probe the alleged corruption in Maoist cantonments, media reports said.
The case dates back to 2007 when the then government had decided to provide Rs 5,000 a month to as many as 19,602 former Maoist combatants camped in seven cantonments and 21 satellite camps set up across the country, reports The Kathmandu Post.
The provision was to be continued until the time the combatants were either integrated into security agencies or chose volunteer retirement, the newspaper reported.
Interestingly, 4008 combatants were disqualified in 2010 for being either underage or late recruits.
The distribution of money to former rebels courted controversy as Maoist leaders allegedly pocketed a big chunk of the fund.
In 2013, of the total 19,602 combatants registered by the United Nations Mission to Nepal (UNMIN), 1,460 were integrated into Nepal Army while some others chose a rehabilitation package offered by the government, The Kathmandu Post reported.
Other parties have been accusing the then Maoist leadership and top commanders of profiteering from the funds that should have gone to the combatants. They were also accused of accepting salaries and allowances on behalf of thousands of combatants who had already left the cantonments.
Although some Maoist Centre leaders said Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal was positive on probing the alleged corruption in cantonment funds, no prominent leader has talked about the issue in public, the newspaper reported.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

