New Zealand sees a reduction in alcohol available for consumption
Alcohol available for consumption in New Zealand decreased to 477 million litres in the year ending in December 2023, a fall of 4.3 percent from 2022, the largest fall over the past 15 years, the statistics department at Stats NZ said on Tuesday.
"The last year was a challenging one for domestic producers, with a number of challenges, including adverse weather events," said Alasdair Allen, Stats NZ international trade manager.
There was also a reduction in imports of beer and wine, Allen said, adding that the volume of beer available fell 4.4 percent, wine fell 2.4 percent, and spirits and spirit-based drinks fell 5.7 percent.
This was the largest decrease in beer volumes since a fall of 6.6 percent in 2012, Allen said, adding that imports of beer decreased 5.1 percent to 4.2 million litres, following a 10 percent fall in 2022 and a 50 percent fall in 2021.
Volumes of wine had the smallest decrease out of the three types of alcohol available for consumption, with a fall of 2.4 percent to 99 million litres, he said.
Wine exports in 2023 fell 9 percent compared with 2022 to 269 million litres, which followed a rise of 5 percent in 2022 and a fall of 7.3 percent in 2021, the statistics showed.
Spirits-based drinks, such as ready-to-drink beverages, decreased the most in 2023, by 7 percent, which followed a 3.8 percent increase in 2022 and a 14 percent increase in 2021, Allen said.
The volume of traditional spirits, such as vodka, whisky, and gin, remained relatively flat, with an increase of 1.4 percent, he added.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

