Ontario announces new rules to ‘improve integrity’ for international students
Toronto/IBNS: Following Federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller's announcement of a cap on international study permits last week, the Ford government is introducing new rules to help improve Ontario colleges’ and universities’ integrity.
According to the announcement, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) will issue 35 percent fewer visas than last year and will not issue more than 360,000 new visas this year, and keep them at that number for two years.
Apart from guaranteeing housing options for incoming international students, the new measures by the Ford government include requiring colleges and universities to introduce a moratorium on new public college and private institution partnerships.
Although Miller announced a 35 percent reduction in the number of study permits this year; the number of permits each province is allocated is still to be determined.
Miller was still working with provinces on specific allocations, but Ontario, British Columbia and Nova Scotia were expected to have to make the biggest reductions. Other provinces that were not as aggressive about recruiting could actually be able to increase the number of international students they bring in.
New permits would reportedly be distributed by IRCC weighted to population, but it is yet to be decided by the provinces what approach would be taken by them.
Provinces with a disproportionately large international student population, including Ontario and British Columbia, are facing a challenging task since the cap means a drastic reduction in what they’ve received.
International student enrollment in Ontario is by far the largest enrollment numbers could drop by as much as 50 per cent.
With fall admissions already in process, IRCC’s decision to drop international student study permits by 35 percent has panicked Canadian students, advocates, administrators and experts.
Amidst the province’s rolling out its new rules, the Ford Government is being blamed for the current situation.
“When it comes to funding universities and colleges, Ontario is dead last,” read a statement from the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.
“Ford has deliberately defunded post-secondary education in Ontario for years, creating a situation where universities and colleges were forced to become reliant on international tuition fees as a significant source of revenue.”
Ontario auditor general report of 2022 said the schools in Ontario had become increasingly dependent on tuition fees from international students.
Azi Afousi, president of Ontario-based advocacy group College Student Alliance was reported saying that moving to Canada to study isn’t a decision made lightly as it requires planning, coordination and financial commitment.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

