Ontario elementary teachers reach tentative contract deal with provincial govt
Toronto/IBNS: A new tentative deal between the Ontario Government with English-language public elementary teachers had been reached averting a possible strike, Education Minister Stephen Lecce confirmed it in a social media post on Tuesday.
“This agreement brings us one step closer to ensuring there will be no province-wide job actions or strikes in all English-language public schools for the next three years,” he was reported to say.
When ratified, Tuesday's agreement would apply to over 80,000 union members, including elementary and occasional teachers, according to the union.
Having previously voted 95 per cent in favour of a strike, Members of the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO) with union leadership were reported saying it would help to put pressure on the government to reach a deal at the bargaining table.
Leccer said that in this new tentative central agreement, some issues will be going to binding arbitration, although it is unclear what those outstanding issues are.
“I want to respect the process,” Lecce told reporters at Queen’s Park.
“I just think it's a fair outcome for the members certainly but it's really good for kids, because they get three additional years of peace, which is a big outcome for a lot of parents in Ontario.”
"After 14 months of central bargaining, we're pleased to be able to bring forward a tentative agreement to our teacher and occasional teacher members that protects their collective agreement entitlements and also addresses key bargaining goals," ETFO President Karen Brown said in a statement.
"This has been the longest round of central bargaining in ETFO's history, but we persisted. We remained focused on getting government cuts off the table and on addressing members' working conditions, which are students' learning conditions."
A ratification vote will be scheduled shortly.
At a news conference Tuesday morning, Lecce said there will be items in the deal going to binding arbitration, though he said he couldn't share details as the agreement hasn't yet been ratified.
"We are using that [framework] for the outstanding issues that could not be resolved through our process of negotiating over the past weeks," he said.
Ontario has already agreed to give public high school teachers and ETFO education workers retroactive salary increases to compensate them for constrained wages under a law known as Bill 124.
Amounts were agreed to for two of the three years affected by Bill 124, but the amount for the third year will be decided at arbitration.
Workers who represented ETFO and the Ontario School Board Council of Unions, reportedly would get retroactive compensation amounting to 0.75 increases for 2019-20 and 2020-21, and an amount between 1.5 percent and 3.25 percent for 2021-2022.
The exact amount for that third year would be decided by an arbitrator.
The Ontario government is still in the bargaining process with the Ontario English Catholic Teachers' Association -- whose members also voted in favour of a strike -- and with the union representing teachers in the French public system.
"I urge the remaining teachers' unions to end the delay, and come to the table to sign an agreement that ensures that every child in Ontario can learn without the threat of strikes over the next three years," Lecce said. "The time is now to get this done."
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

