Pakistan: Blast inside Peshawar mosque leaves 28 dead, 150 injured
Peshawar: At least 28 people died as a blast took place inside a mosque in Peshawar’s Police Lines area on Monday.
The blast left 150 people injured.
Peshawar Commissioner Riaz Mehsood confirmed to Dawn News that the casualties, adding that a rescue operation was underway inside the mosque.
“An emergency has been imposed at hospitals across the city and injured persons are being provided the best medical facilities,” the senior official said.
Meanwhile, Lady Reading Hospital spokesperson Mohammad Asim told Dawn News that a number of injured persons were in critical condition.
Speaking to the media, Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Peshawar Muhammad Ijaz Khan told Dawn News that the roof of the mosque collapsed after the blast. “A number of jawans are still stuck under the rubble and rescuers are trying to pull them out.”
“The smell of explosives has been detected but it is too early to say anything substantial,” he said.
Khan said between 300 to 400 police officials were present in the area at the time of the blast.
“It is apparent that a security lapse occurred,” the CCPO told the media.
He added that the bodies and injured persons have been moved to the LRH.
The blast occured around 1:40pm as Zuhr prayers were being offered.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast so far.
It is still not clear whether the bomb was planted inside the mosque or it was a suicide attack.
Ex- Pakistan PM Imran Khan condoled the loss of lives in the tragedy and tweeted: " Strongly condemn the terrorist suicide attack in police lines mosque Peshawar during prayers. My prayers & condolences go to victims families. It is imperative we improve our intelligence gathering & properly equip our police forces to combat the growing threat of terrorism."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

