Pakistan: Jumbo cabinet costs taxpayers dearly
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s recent decision of stuffing as many special assistants as he can into an already big fat federal cabinet has not only drawn widespread condemnation but also led experts to say that it is an “insensitive” move which has cost the taxpayers large sums of money at a time when the country is combating financial crisis.
Since coming to power in April last year, the PM has been calling for austerity but the frequent expansion of the cabinet by inducting more people as special assistants to the PM without adopting clear criteria and a process has raised several eyebrows, The Express Tribune reported.
Former senator and lawyer Mustafa Nawaz Khokhar and ex-minister of state and Board of Investment of Pakistan (BoI) chairman Haroon Sharif, among others, lashed out at the PML-N-led ruling alliance for being disconnected from the masses, calling for cutting the cabinet’s size amid the worst financial crisis.
“The government has shown real insensitivity by appointing several more SAPMs at a time when the country is going through one of the worst financial crises in its history,” the outspoken ex-senator told the newspaper.
“The common man is not left with any fiscal space to go on with his daily life with dignity,” he added.
While reacting to the coalition government’s federal cabinet swelling to 85 members, Khokhar said that it showed that “the ruling elites are not only tone deaf but disconnected from the masses” to the extent that they had no idea about the choices people were being forced to make regarding meeting kitchen expenses as well as paying their bills, rents and children’s school fees.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

