Quran-burning demonstrations: Denmark tightens border controls
Copenhagen: The Danish police are temporarily toughening controls at the country's borders for security reasons following recent Quran-burning demonstrations, the Danish Justice Ministry has said.
"Against the backdrop of the recent burnings of the Quran and as the current threat pattern develops, the police are temporarily stepping up efforts at the internal borders of Denmark ... This means, among other things, that you may soon face with selective border controls when making an entry from Sweden," the ministry said in a statement late on Thursday.
The measure, which went into effect on August 3, is based on recommendations received from the Danish Police Intelligence Service.
The border controls strengthening measures are expected to stay in force until August 10.
Danish Justice Minister Peter Hummelgaard said that the government took the current situation in the country seriously and agreed with the recommendations of the police intelligence service to intensify checks on the internal border.
On Wednesday, Hummelgaard said there were no reasons to toughen border controls in Denmark.
On Tuesday, Swedish Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said that the Swedish authorities would tighten internal border controls amid the deteriorating security situation.
Over the recent months, multiple Quran-burning demonstrations took place in Denmark and Sweden.
Most Muslim countries have condemned the demonstrations, and some have summoned the Swedish and Danish ambassadors to issue them notes of protest.
Last month, hundreds of Iraqi protesters stormed the Swedish embassy following the burning of the Quran in Stockholm.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

