Resolution of ‘racism’ complaint brought by Qatar against UAE and Saudi Arabia
New York: A UN body investigating discrimination complaints lodged by Qatar against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia concluded its work following the resolution of these disputes, according to an announcement on Thursday.
The ad hoc Conciliation Commission was established by the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) in the wake of a diplomatic crisis between the neighbouring Gulf nations, nearly eight years ago.
“I hope that the consensus found by Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia to discontinue the proceedings is the result of a genuine dialogue between the parties to end the dispute which arose in 2018 concerning allegations of racial discrimination,” said Verene Shepherd, the CERD chair.
Severed ties and sanctions
In June 2017, four countries – the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt - severed diplomatic and economic relations with Qatar, citing alleged support for terrorism.
The following March, Qatar submitted complaints against the UAE and Saudi Arabia to the CERD, marking a first in the UN Committee’s history.
The authorities claimed that political and economic sanctions, including the blockade of its borders, were directed at Qatari citizens solely based on their nationality, without legitimate justification.
An amicable settlement
The CERD monitors global implementation of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, which entered into force more than 50 years ago.
Two ad hoc Conciliation Commissions were appointed in February 2020 to discuss the complaints.
The Committee commended all countries concerned for their cooperation towards reaching an amicable settlement to the racial discrimination disputes.
“Such cooperation demonstrates States parties’ steadfast engagement to the collective enforcement of the Convention,” said Ms. Shepherd.
Qatar and the UAE had both requested and agreed to end their proceedings at an ad hoc Conciliation Commission meeting on 26 January.
The second Commission involving Saudi Arabia wrapped up last year following agreement by both parties.
CERD has registered another case, Palestine against Israel, which is still pending.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

