Russia and Saudi Arabia rally OPEC+ nations for unified oil cuts
Riyadh/IBNS: The world's two biggest oil exporters, Saudi Arabia and Russia, on Thursday called for all OPEC+ nations to join an agreement on output cuts for the good of the global economy, just days after a fractious meeting of the producers' club, Reuters reported.
Following Russian President Vladimir Putin's sudden visit to Riyadh to meet Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Kremlin issued a joint Russian-Saudi statement concluding their discussions.
Saudi Arabia and Russia extended their previous voluntary cuts of 1.3 million barrels per day (bpd) to fresh voluntary cuts of roughly 2.2 million barrels per day (bpd) last week, with the support of other partners, Reuters reported.
"In the field of energy, the two sides commended the close cooperation between them and the successful efforts of the OPEC+ countries in enhancing the stability of global oil markets," the Kremlin said in a statement.
"They stressed the importance of continuing this cooperation and the need for all participating countries to join the OPEC+ agreement in a way that serves the interests of producers and consumers and supports the growth of the global economy," reported Reuters, citing the statement.
Saudi state news agency SPA said that the crown prince, known as MbS, and Putin had stressed in their meeting the need for OPEC+ members to commit to the group's agreement, according to the report.
According to the report, the oil market sources stated that the explicit public statement from the Kremlin and the kingdom about "joining" cuts seemed like a veiled reference to particular oil-producing nations.
Putin will meet with Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi in Moscow on Thursday.
According to the report, the details of Putin's visit to Riyadh and Abu Dhabi, where he was escorted by four Russian fighter jets, remain unclear, and it is unclear what specific issue was so important for Putin to make such an uncommon overseas trip.
The Kremlin stated that Putin and MbS also spoke about the conflicts in Gaza, Ukraine, and Yemen, as well as strengthening defence cooperation.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

