Taipei parades to mark 65th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising
Taipei city in Taiwan witnessed a parade on Sunday to mark the 65th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising.
Tibetan monks led the public in singing the Tibetan national anthem before leading a group down Zhongxiao East Road, reported Taiwan News.
The parade route went past the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, where a moment of silence was held to commemorate Tibetan sacrifice, the news portal reported.
A drama was also staged by participants in front of the Bank of China Taipei Branch.
The performance protested China’s demolition of Tibetan temples and demanded the release of human rights defenders, the news portal reported.
China took control over Tibet in 1950.
The 1959 Tibetan uprising or the 1959 Tibetan rebellion began on 10 March 1959, when a revolt erupted in Lhasa, the capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region, which had been under the effective control of the People's Republic of China since the Seventeen Point Agreement was reached in 1951.
Armed conflict between Tibetan guerillas and the People's Liberation Army(PLA) had started in 1956 in the Kham and Amdo regions, which had been subjected to socialist reform.
The guerrilla warfare later spread to other areas of Tibet and lasted through 1962.
The anniversary of the uprising is observed by Tibetan exiles as the ''Tibetan Uprising Day''.
In early 1959 during the Tibetan uprising,their spiritual leader (Nobel Peace Winner) the Dalai Lama and his retinue fled Tibet with the help of the CIA's Special Activities Division, crossing into India on 30 March 1959.
He is based in Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh since then.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

