Thailand planning to cancel Submarine deal with China: Reports
The Thailand government is planning to renege on a contentious submarine contract with China if the requirements of the procurement cannot be completed, media reports said on Wednesday.
Thailand agreed to pay the state-owned China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Co (CSOC) 13.5 billion baht (now about $373.9 million) in 2017 to purchase one S26T Yuan-class submarine, with delivery anticipated for 2023, reports The Singapore Post.
However, earlier this year, work on the submarine was put on hold when the German company Motor and Turbine Union stated it would not give CSOC access to its state- of-the-art MTU396 diesel engines for installation in the Thai submarine.
The German corporation claimed that a government restriction on the sale of military equipment to China implemented in the wake of the 1989 Tiananmen Square murders prevented it from making the deal, the newspaper reported.
In retaliation, CSOS has proposed either installing a Chinese-made engine in the submarine or providing Thailand with two People’s Liberation Army Navy decommissioned boats.
The Thai government first objected, requesting that the German engines be fitted in accordance with the contract’s terms.
Even the Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said that the agreement might be scrapped.
“What do we do with an engineless submarine?Why should we buy it, he asked journalists in March," he was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

