Trump says 200% tariff threat forced India-Pakistan ceasefire: ‘Nothing like money’
Washington DC/IBNS: US President Donald Trump on Thursday reiterated his claim that he acted as a mediator between India and Pakistan during last year's military standoff, asserting that the threat of steep tariffs compelled both nations to resolve the conflict.
Speaking at his Board of Peace event, Trump said he had warned both countries that the United States would impose 200% tariffs if they failed to de-escalate tensions.
The President also claimed that 11 “very expensive jets” were shot down during the military confrontation that began after India's Operation Sindoor, launched in response to the killing of 26 tourists in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam.
“...That war was raging. Planes were being shot down. And I got on the phone with both of them, and I knew them a little bit. I knew Prime Minister Modi very well... I called them and said, 'listen, I'm not doing trade deals with you two guys if you don't settle this up',” Trump said.
He added that economic pressure played a decisive role in calming the situation.
“And all of a sudden, we worked out a deal. I said, if you fight, I'm going to put 200 per cent tariffs on each of your countries. They both wanted to fight. But when it came to money, it's nothing like money. When it came to losing a lot of money, they said, 'I guess we don't want to fight'... 11 jets were shot down. Very expensive jets,” he said in presence of Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
Trump also mentioned speaking with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying, “Pakistan and India, that was a big one. Pakistan and India, thank you very much. I spoke to Prime Minister Modi. He's excited. He's watching us right now.”
#WATCH | At the Board of Peace Event, US President Donald Trump says, "...He (Pakistani PM) said in front of our Chief of Staff that President Trump saved 25 million lives when he stopped the war between us and India...That war was raging. Planes were being shot down. And I got… pic.twitter.com/pm5eT7xjz3
— ANI (@ANI) February 19, 2026
However, India has consistently maintained that no foreign intervention was involved in the ceasefire decision during Operation Sindoor, which was launched on May 7.
Prime Minister Modi rejected Trump’s claim, stating that “no global leader” urged India to halt the operation.
“India's policy, which was well-considered and thoroughly discussed with our military, was that our targets are terrorists, their masterminds, and their hideouts. We clearly stated from the beginning that our actions were non-escalatory, which is why we agreed to a ceasefire,” Modi said in Parliament.
Modi also referred to a conversation with US Vice President JD Vance, who had conveyed intelligence about a possible Pakistani offensive.
“No global leader urged India to halt the operation. On the night of May 9, the Vice President of the United States attempted to contact me. He tried for an hour, but I was in a meeting with the military and was unable to answer,” Modi said.
“Later, I returned his call. During our conversation, the Vice President informed me that Pakistan was planning to launch a major offensive. In response, I firmly stated, ‘If this is Pakistan's intent, they will face dire consequences,’” he added.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

UN report raises alarm over possible ethnic cleansing in Gaza, West Bank
Increased Israeli attacks and the forced transfer of Palestinians have sparked concern over ethnic cleansing in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said in a report issued on Thursday.

'We Are Taking Back Control': Canadian Finance Minister Champagne on CUSMA, Asian Trade Shift
Ottawa: Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne declared that Canada is "taking back control of our Canadian economy" amid uncertainties surrounding the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), emphasising diversification through strengthened ties with Asian trade partners.

Trump warns Iran to make 'meaningful deal' as US military buildup intensifies in Middle East
US President Donald Trump has warned Iran that it must agree to a “meaningful” deal amid a large-scale American military buildup in the Middle East, saying the United States may be forced to “take it further” if diplomacy fails, media reports said.

'Law must take its course': King Charles after brother Andrew's arrest in Epstein-linked probe
The British royal family will offer its “wholehearted support and co-operation” to police as they investigate former Prince Andrew over alleged misconduct in public office and his links to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, King Charles III said on Thursday.
Latest News

Samsung unveils next-gen Bixby. What are the key features?

UN report raises alarm over possible ethnic cleansing in Gaza, West Bank

India’s AI dream goes big as L&T teams up with NVIDIA. Know all details

Big tech power move: Tata Group teams up with OpenAI to transform India’s AI future

