UN chief regrets Russia’s decision to withdraw from grain deal
New York: UN Secretary-General António Guterres said on Monday that he deeply regrets Russia’s decision to terminate the Black Sea Initiative, in effect ending a “lifeline” for hundreds of millions worldwide facing hunger and spiralling food costs.
Following weeks of negotiations, the UN-brokered accord that facilitated the export of more than 30 million tonnes of Ukrainian grain to global markets via three Black Sea ports expired on 17 July.
“Today’s decision by the Russian Federation will strike a blow to people in need everywhere,” said Mr. Guterres, speaking to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York.
Developing countries to suffer
The Black Sea initiative was agreed by Russia, Ukraine, Türkiye and the UN in Istanbul last July along with a parallel accord between the UN and Russia on grain and fertilizer exports from that country.
By its decision, Russia has also withdrawn security guarantees for ships navigating in the northwestern part of the Black Sea.
“Ultimately, participation in these agreements is a choice. But struggling people everywhere and developing countries don’t have a choice,” Mr. Guterres said.
‘Beacon of hope’
The grain initiative and the Memorandum of Understanding with Russia were “a lifeline for global food security and a beacon of hope in a troubled world,” he said.
“At a time when the production and availability of food is being disrupted by conflict, climate change, energy prices and more, these agreements have helped to reduce food prices by over 23 per cent since March last year,” he added.
He noted that the World Food Programme (WFP) shipped 725,000 tons to support humanitarian operations in Afghanistan, the Horn of Africa and Yemen, relieving hunger in some of the world’s hardest hit regions.
Attempt to keep deal alive
Mr. Guterres said he was aware of obstacles that remained in the foreign trade of Russian food and fertilizer products and that he had written to President Vladimir Putin with a new proposal to keep the Black Sea Initiative alive.
Quoting extensively from the letter, he noted that since the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding, and measures adopted by the Government, Russia’s grain trade had achieved high export volumes and fertilizer markets were stabilizing, with Russian exports nearing full recovery.
The letter also outlined UN action to facilitate trade amid sanctions against Russia, such as securing licenses from the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union, and providing clarifications and guidance to the private sector.
The Secretary-General's letter also explained how the UN has worked to find “dedicated solutions” across the banking and private sectors, which included building a “bespoke payments mechanism” for the Russian Agricultural Bank outside the SWIFT international banking network.
Moscow had lighted that SWIFT access by the bank was a key factor influencing its decisions, according to the letter.
Mr. Guterres said he was deeply disappointed that his proposal went unheeded.
UN efforts continue
Though lamenting the Russian decision, the Secretary-General was adamant that it would not stop efforts to get food products and fertilizers from both Ukraine and Russia to international markets.
Mr. Guterres said he will remain focused on the goal of advancing global food security and global food price stability, “taking into account the rise in human suffering that will inevitably result from today’s decision.”
Assembly President’s appeal
Responding to the collapse of the landmark deal, UN General Assembly President Csaba Kőrösi reiterated his call for the parties to return to dialogue.
“The challenges are complex, they are interconnected, but they are not insurmountable. It is not too late,” according to a statement issued by his Spokesperson.
Mr. Kőrösi deeply regretted Moscow’s decision to withdraw from the Initiative which he said “has provided a lifeline to millions of people hit hard by the global food security crisis triggered by the war in Ukraine.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

