UN chief voices horror as scores die in migrant shipwreck off Greek coast
New York: The UN Secretary-General said on Wednesday he was horrified at the news of dozens more deaths in the Mediterranean after an overloaded boat reportedly capsized and sank off the coast of Greece.
Latest news reports said the bodies of at least 79 men, women and children had been recovered, with hundreds more potentially dead or missing. The UN migration agency (IOM) estimated that at least 400 had been on board, adding that 104 survivors had been brought to shore by the middle of the day, local time.
Briefing correspondents in New York, UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said UN chief António Guterres had stressed previously “that every person searching for a better life needs dignity and safety.
‘Comprehensive action’ needed
“This is yet another example of the need for Member States to come together and create orderly safe pathways for people forced to flee and for comprehensive action to save lives at sea and reduce perilous journeys.”
On Tuesday, IOM released figures showing nearly 3,800 people had died on migration routes within and from the Middle East and North Africa last year – the highest number since 2017, when 4,255 deaths were recorded.
The first quarter saw 441 migrants die in the central Mediterranean, and since 2014 more than 26,000 people have died or gone missing on all the routes combined.
Tweet URL
UN refugee agency (UNHCR) chief Filippo Grandi tweeted that he felt “only sadness and anger after another deadly tragedy at sea”.
“May the victims rest in peace. May the survivors find consolation and care. May governments cooperate to increase safe pathways and work together on collective solutions to address these flows.”
Impossible choices
The UNHCR office in Greece pointed out that Wednesday’s deaths were wholly avoidable. “We need more safe pathways for people forced to flee,” the agency tweeted. “They should not be left with impossible life-threatening choices.”
According to Greek media reports, the boat that sank off the coastal town of Pylos was on its way to Italy having set sail from the Libyan city of Tobruk.
The shipwreck is the deadliest off the Greek coast so far this year.
Survivors were reportedly taken to the southwestern Greek town of Kalamata and were expected to be moved to a camp outside Athens.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

