UN official says ‘brutal and far-reaching’ war continues in Ukraine
As the world’s attention focuses on the unfolding emergency in the Gaza Strip, a senior UN aid official on Tuesday urged the Security Council not to overlook the equally “brutal and far-reaching” crisis in Ukraine.
Ramesh Rajasingham, Director of the Coordination Division at the UN relief wing OCHA, addressed ambassadors, highlighting the urgent need for humanitarian support with the winter freeze approaching, and access to essential services an increasing challenge.
He outlined efforts by relief workers to provide support to communities on the frontline and in hard-to-reach areas, including ensuring sufficient supplies of water and heat.
“The aim is to ensure that every civilian has access to somewhere both safe and warm during the winter ahead,” he said.
Access challenges
However, lack of humanitarian access to the parts of the Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk and Zaporizhzhia regions under temporary Russian military control are among the “most significant” challenges.
“The consequences of not delivering assistance to the estimated four million people in need in these areas are dire, particularly with the winter months soon upon us,” the OCHA official said, emphasizing the legal obligation on all parties to allow and facilitate rapid and unimpeded delivery of aid.
“It is vital that we be able to alleviate the human suffering caused by this war, regardless of where it is in Ukraine,” he said.
Devastating toll
Rajasingham said latest verified information suggested more than 9,900 civilians have been killed since the start of the invasion in February last year.
As these are only the figures the UN human rights office (OHCHR) has so far formally verified, “the actual toll is certainly higher,” he said.
He cited “significant damage” to critical civilian infrastructure, including electricity, heating, water and telecommunication facilities, as well as attacks against health facilities and personnel.
Humanitarian organizations have not been spared, he added, noting that so far in 2023, 14 aid workers have been killed.
Grain exports
The OCHA director note continued strikes on port infrastructure on the Black Sea and the Danube River.
Ukraine has nonetheless reported a growing number of vessels entering and departing from its Black Sea ports via a temporary corridor announced in August, following Russia’s withdrawal from the UN-brokered Black Sea Initiative, he said.
“As we have said in this chamber many times before, at a time of staggering levels of hunger around the world, it is imperative that all sources of food supplies are safely and sustainably connected to global supply chains,” Rajasingham stressed.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

Tota, Abir and Mimi to star in Srijit Mukherji’s new film ‘Emperor vs Sarat Chandra’

Blockbuster opening! Tere Ishk Mein storms box office despite harsh critic reviews

