US develops programme capable of detecting hypersonic missiles with satellites
The US Space Development Agency (SDA) and California-based EpiSci company are developing a software tool to detect hypersonic missiles in low Earth orbit using satellite data, media reported.
The SDA is planning to set up a network of 100 satellites in low Earth orbit to monitor hypersonic activity and facilitate warnings, the SpaceNews news portal reported. The main challenge of the project is to develop software capable of processing the data sets collected by satellite sensors in the atmosphere and extracting the correct data.
To achieve this goal, EpiSci signed a two-year $1.6 million contract with SDA that will allow it to test its artificial intelligence-based software against data collected by low-Earth orbit sensors to identify and track hypersonic activity.
The news came as the US Department of Defense said last week that six reconnaissance satellites had been launched into orbit to track hypersonic weapons and jets.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said this month that Russia was the world leader in developing hypersonic systems. Meanwhile, US Senator Angus King said in January that the United States could have already lost the race to develop hypersonic systems.
In March 2023, Defense News quoted US Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall as saying that the recent hypersonic test was not a success. However, later in December, Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering Heidi Shyu said the Pentagon planned to carry out joint hypersonic missile tests with the Australian military in 2024.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

