US veto sends wrong message, makes the situation in Gaza more dangerous: China's UN Envoy
United Nations: China's Ambassador to the United Nations Zhang Jun on Tuesday criticized the United States for the use of its veto power on an Algeria-drafted UN Security Council resolution, arguing it undermines consensus and worsens the situation in Gaza.
Earlier in the day, the US vetoed a resolution that called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza. Thirteen council members voted in favour, while the UK abstained.
"It is not that the Security Council does not have an overwhelming consensus, but rather it is the exercise of the veto by the United States that has stifled the council consensus. The US veto sends a wrong message, pushing the situation in Gaza into a more dangerous one," Zhang said during a UN Security Council meeting.
China expresses its strong disappointment and dissatisfaction with the vote's outcome, he added.
Supporting Algeria’s proposed UNSC resolution for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza could have risked sensitive hostage negotiations between Hamas and Israel, US National Security Communications adviser John Kirby said.
The United States vetoing another resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza has demonstrated that it does not want peace in the Middle East and is only demanding at any cost that their closest Middle East ally be shielded, Russian Ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzia said.
(With UNI/SPUTNIK inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

