32 killed, 63 injured in multiple car collisions in Egypt: Ministry
Cairo/IBNS/UNI: At least 32 people were killed and 63 others injured on Saturday in multiple vehicle collisions on a desert road near Egypt's Beheira governorate, according to the country's Ministry of Health.
Security investigations showed the accident was caused by an oil leak from a car traveling on the Cairo-Alexandria desert road near Beheira.
The ministry said in follow-up statements that multiple cars caught on fire as they collided with a bus transporting passengers.
"The accident involved 64 vehicles in total, including 29 cars that were charred," the state-run Ahram newspaper quoted a security source at the scene as saying.
The ministry said it had sent 20 ambulances to rescue the wounded, noting that three of them received first aid on the spot.
It added that the other 60 injured had been transferred to nearby hospitals, while Ahram confirmed most of those killed in the tragic accident were children, citing medics.
Ahram noted that a criminal investigation into the tragedy has been ordered.
Road accidents claim thousands of lives every year in Egypt as a result of speeding, poor maintenance of roads, and lax enforcement of traffic laws.
Over the past few years, Egypt has upgraded its road network to reduce traffic accidents.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

Tota, Abir and Mimi to star in Srijit Mukherji’s new film ‘Emperor vs Sarat Chandra’

Blockbuster opening! Tere Ishk Mein storms box office despite harsh critic reviews

