Armed mutiny in Russia: PMC Wagner head Prigozhin accepts Belarusian Prez's proposal on de-escalation
Minsk (Belarus): The head of the Wagner Group private military company (PMC), Yevgeny Prigozhin has accepted the proposal of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko to stop the movement of Wagner troops in Russia and take further steps to de-escalate the situation, the Belarusian presidential office said on Saturday.
On Saturday morning, Russian President Vladimir Putin briefed his Belarusian counterpart on the situation in southern Russia around the PMC Wagner, with the two leaders agreeing on coordinated actions, according to Lukashenko's office.
Pool Pervogo Telegram channel quoted Lukashenko's Office as saying, "In line with the agreements and as agreed with the Russian president, the Belarusian president held talks with the head of the Wagner PMC, Yevgeny Prigozhin, after additionally clarifying the situation via its own channels.
“As a result, agreements on unacceptability of unleashing a bloody slaughter on the Russian territory were reached. Yevgeny Prigozhin has accepted the proposal of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko to stop the movement of Wagner troops on the Russian territory and take further steps to de-escalate tensions."
Dmitry #Peskov: An agreement has been reached that #Wagner PMC will leave for their field camps, and #Prigozhin himself will leave for #Belarus. The authorities will not persecute those Wagnerites who took part in the rebellion, given their front-line merits.
— NEXTA (@nexta_tv) June 24, 2023❗️ Prigozhin said he is turning the columns around and returning the "Wagner" PMC to the camps
— NEXTA (@nexta_tv) June 24, 2023
"Now is the moment when blood can be spilled. Therefore, realizing all the responsibility for the fact that Russian blood will be spilled, on one side, we are turning our columns… pic.twitter.com/yYRa6OUWQT
As Wagner mercenary group came closer, Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin declared a state of emergency in Russia’s capital on Saturday.
Moscow Sobyanin said that a counterterrorist operation had been declared in Moscow and that the situation was complicated.
"Dear citizens, a counterterrorist operation has been declared in Moscow. The situation is complicated," Sobyanin wrote on social media.
On Friday, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) opened a criminal case for inciting armed mutiny over statements made on behalf of the head of the Wagner Group private military company (PMC), Yevgeny Prigozhin.
The FSB said that there was a threat of escalation on Russian territory. The Russian Defense Ministry said that social media reports of alleged Russian military strikes on PMC Wagner camps were not true.
Russian President Vladimir Putin delivered a televised address to the nation on Saturday in which he described the actions of the Wagner Group PMC as an armed mutiny and treason, and promised harsh measures against the insurgents.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

