Brazil backs South Africa's genocide case against Israel at ICJ
Mexico City: Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has expressed his support for South Africa's case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), accusing Israel of genocide in the Gaza Strip, the Brazilian Foreign Ministry said.
"In light of the flagrant violations of international humanitarian law, the president has expressed support for South Africa's initiative to call on the International Court of Justice to obligate Israel to cease all actions and measures that may constitute genocide or related crimes in accordance with the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide," the ministry said in a readout of Lula's meeting with Palestinian Ambassador to Brazil Ibrahim Alzeben on Wednesday.
Lula also recalled Brazil's "immediate condemnation" of Hamas' attacks on October 7 last year while reiterating that they "do not justify the indiscriminate, recurring and disproportionate use of force by Israel against civilians," the ministry said.
In December, South Africa brought the claim of Israel's genocidal intent before the Hague court in response to a rising civilian death toll in the Palestinian enclave.
It seeks to prove that Israel's military strategy is genocidal in nature and targets Gazans as a part of the broader Palestinian national, racial, and ethnic group.
The ICJ will hold its first hearing in South Africa's genocide case against Israel on Thursday. It is expected to ultimately issue provisional measures to protect Palestinians in Gaza and to ensure Israel's compliance with the 1948 Genocide Convention.
In response, Israel said that Pretoria's claims had no factual basis and were an "exploitation" of the court, adding that the country was allegedly collaborating with "terrorists."
South Africa's case has support from several countries, including Turkey, Jordan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Malaysia, and the Organisation of Islamic Countries.
Last October, the Palestinian movement Hamas launched a large-scale rocket attack against Israel from the Gaza Strip while its fighters breached the border, opening fire on the military and civilians.
As a result, over 1,200 people in Israel were killed, and some 240 others were abducted.
Israel launched retaliatory strikes, ordered a complete blockade of Gaza, and launched a ground incursion into the Palestinian enclave with the declared goal of eliminating Hamas fighters and rescuing the hostages. Over 23,000 people have been killed so far in Gaza.
On November 24, Qatar mediated a deal between Israel and Hamas on a temporary truce and the exchange of some of the prisoners and hostages, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. The ceasefire was extended several times and expired on December 1.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

