Canada announces additional sanctions against Russian collaborators in Moldova
Toronto/IBNS: Melanie Joly, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tuesday announced imposition of additional sanctions against Russian collaborators in Moldova under the Special Economic Measures (Moldova) Regulations, a news release said.
Nine Moldovan individuals, associated with influential oligarchs, such as Vladimir Plahotniuc and Ilan Mironovich Shor, who have previously been sanctioned by Canada are included against whom these sanctions are being imposed.
Other individuals being sanctioned, said Joly, are connected to the Shor political party's continued efforts for over a decade to destabilize the democratically elected Moldovan government in favour of Russia.
In addition, 6 television stations which actively promote and disseminate Russian disinformation to justify Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine are being sanctioned.
These 6 television stations had their operating licences revoked by Moldova’s Commission for Exceptional Situations.
These sanctions against Russian collaborators in Moldova are being imposed by Canada in the context of the fourth meeting of the Moldova Support Platform, taking place October 17, 2023, in Chisinau, Moldova.
The first round of sanctions under the Special Economic Measures (Moldova) Regulations was announced by Canada on June 1, 2023 during the visit of Moldovan President Maia Sandu to Canada in May 2023 to undermine Russia’s unjustifiable invasion of Ukraine through Moldova and to support the democratically elected Government of Moldova.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

He doesn’t fight evil, he destroys it! Nandamuri Balakrishna's Akhanda 2 teaser unleashes divine fury

Can’t miss horror! Dies Irae starring Pranav Mohanlal hits Jio Hotstar December 5

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

