Canada: Ontario's Project Foxtrot leads to human trafficking investigation
Toronto/IBNS: A human trafficking investigation by Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) allegedly led to four residents facing charges for forcing four victims to pay for their own accommodations in an accused's basement.
OPP was reported saying that victims were lured with the promise of a good-paying job and work permits.
After the launch of Project Foxtrot in mid-February' police officers received information about suspected labour trafficking involving exploiting foreign nationals from Mexico
Police say the victims were hired through a subcontractor to work at various recycling facilities in Sault Ste. Marie, North Bay, Red Deer in Alberta, and Levis in Quebec.
Unaware that the workers were victims of human trafficking, the facilities had been cooperating with the investigation, police say.
The victims, three men between 27 and 42 years old, were renting in one of the accused's basements in Tottenham, which police say was cold and had no running water with victims expected to sleep on an air mattress they had to purchase themselves.
OPP says the three men alleged the accommodations were paid for out of the victims' wages, which was less than promised.
"This is modern-day slavery in its worst form," said OPP Det. Insp. Jordan Whitesell.
Officers arrested and charged two Simcoe County residents, Francisco Eluid Antionio-Olvera, 33, and Floriberta Sarmiento, 27, while two others, Miroslaw Blachuta, 72, of Etobicoke, and Mikhael Akin, 53, of Halton were charged for human trafficking.
Further investigation by the provincial police to find more victims is ongoing
The OPP says the investigation had been supported by members from various police services, including Barrie, Kingston, Ottawa, Sudbury, Quebec, and York Region, along with the Canadian Border Services Agency and the Ministry of Labour.(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

