Canada: Volkswagen’s new EV battery plant in Ontario's St.Thomas to create thousands of new jobs
St. Thomas/IBNS: A historic investment of $7 billion from Volkswagen, Europe’s largest automaker, was secured last month by Ontario in Canada, to establish its first overseas electric vehicle battery manufacturing plant in St. Thomas, a news release has said.
The plant with six production blocks on a 370-acre site inside a new 1,500-acre industrial park on land St. Thomas was purchased just for this purpose last year.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau were joined by Ontario’s Minister of Economic Development Vic Fedeli and the federal Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, François-Philippe Champagne, to highlight the deal for Ontario and Canada’s entire electric vehicle supply chain.
Once complete in 2027, batteries for up to one million electric vehicles per year would reportedly be produced to meet the demand of Canada’s domestic battery manufacturing capacity for electric vehicles now and into the future.
This first largest electric vehicle-related investment in Canadian history would reportedly benefit Ontario and Canada’s highly-skilled workers, strong economies, and competitive business environments in creating up to 3,000 direct jobs and up to 30,000 indirect jobs.
Construction of this largest manufacturing plant in Canada expected to begin next year will reportedly generate about $200 billion in value.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

