CENTCOM says US, allies shoot down 18 attack drones, 3 missiles fired by Houthis into Red Sea
The United States and its allies recently shot down a barrage of drones and missiles fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen into the southern Red Sea where commercial vessels were transiting, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a press statement.
"On Jan. 9, at approximately 9:15 p.m. (Sanaa time), Iranian-backed Houthis launched a complex attack of Iranian designed one-way attack UAVs (OWA UAVs), anti-ship cruise missiles, and an anti-ship ballistic missile from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen into the Southern Red Sea, towards international shipping lanes where dozens of merchant vessels were transiting," CENTCOM said Tuesday night.
According to CENTCOM, 18 attack drones, two anti-ship cruise missiles and one anti-ship ballistic missile were shot down by a combined effort of US F-18 fighter jets from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier and warships of the US and the United Kingdom.
There were no injuries or damage reported, CENTCOM added.
Houthi Attack on International Shipping
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) January 10, 2024
On Jan. 9, at approximately 9:15 p.m. (Sanaa time), Iranian-backed Houthis launched a complex attack of Iranian designed one-way attack UAVs (OWA UAVs), anti-ship cruise missiles, and an anti-ship ballistic missile from Houthi-controlled… pic.twitter.com/KWPRidwiWI
To date, the Houthis have carried out 26 attacks on commercial shipping lanes in the Red Sea since November 19, the statement said.
CENTCOM reiterated that the US and its allies warned the Houthis last week that the group's actions would have consequences if the attacks continued in the region.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

