Ensure safety and efficient resettlement of Afghan refugees and asylum seekers, urges US to Pakistan
The US government has asked Pakistan to ensure safety and efficient resettlement of Afghan refugees and asylum seekers.
"Our key concern is the safety of the vulnerable and at-risk individuals. We believe it is in both our countries’ interest to ensure the safe and efficient resettlement of refugees and asylum speakers – asylum seekers," US State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said at a Tuesday afternoon news briefing.
"And we join all of our partners in urging all countries, including Pakistan, to uphold their respective obligations in the treatment of refugees and asylum speakers – or asylum seekers, and strongly encourage all of Afghanistan’s neighbour to – neighbors to allow entry for Afghans seeking international protection, and coordinate with international humanitarian organizations to provide humanitarian assistance," he said.
Emergency support for thousands of Afghan families repatriated from Pakistan could dwindle due to a lack of funding as winter approaches, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Thursday.
Pakistan announced in October that it would begin deporting “undocumented” foreign nationals starting on 1 November, affecting thousands of Afghans who have found refuge in the country.
WFP said most families crossing the border are arriving hungry, desperate and in need of immediate support.
The UN agency continues to supply them with fortified biscuits and cash to buy food or other basic necessities, and has assisted 250,000 people so far this month.
Hsiao-Wei Lee, WFP Afghanistan Country Director said its programme there is already critically underfunded.
She warned that without additional resources “we will not be able to continue our support to these families who are arriving at the border with nothing but a few basics and some bread for their journey.”
WFP is urgently seeking $27.5 million to support one million returnees and help them get through the winter.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

