Gaza War: 13 Israeli, 2 Thai citizens released by Hamas; 39 Palestinians freed by Israel amid ceasefire
Thirteen Israelis and four Thai citizens, who had been held captive by Hamas, arrived in Israel on Sunday as part of a crucial hostage deal brokered by Qatar and Egypt, Reuters reported.
The agreement faced a momentary threat of collapsing due to a disagreement over aid supplies, which was resolved after the intervention of the two countries, the report said.
The dispute over aid, which left the hostage release in uncertainty, highlights the fragile nature of the agreement.
According to the deal, 50 Israeli hostages would be released for 150 Palestinian prisoners over a four-day period.
This is just the beginning of bringing back all of our hostages home from Gaza. pic.twitter.com/gowOQIBfJS
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) November 24, 2023
Television footage showed hostages on the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing after leaving Gaza.
Hamas transferred the hostages to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) late on Saturday, the reports said.
Among the 13 released Israelis, six were women, and seven were children and teenagers, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office.
"The released hostages are on their way to hospitals in Israel, where they will reunite with their families," the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said in a statement.
Representatives from the @ICRC just transferred 17 hostages via Egypt, including 13 Israeli and 4 Thai hostages, to ISA and IDF Special Forces, as they make their way to Israeli hospitals, where they will be reunited with their families.
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) November 25, 2023
We have been preparing to welcome our… pic.twitter.com/ulogSb2hk5
In return for the Israeli hostages, 39 Palestinian civilians, including 33 minors, were released from Israeli prisons.
Al Jazeera TV broadcast live footage of a Red Cross bus carrying the overjoyed Palestinian prisoners, who were released from an Israeli prison and headed to Beitunia town in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
A Palestinian official, aware of the diplomatic situation, said that Hamas intends to maintain the four-day truce agreed upon with Israel.
This marks the first temporary cease-fire since Hamas terrorists carried out an attack in southern Israel on October 7, resulting in 1,200 casualties while around 240 people were taken hostage.
After the sudden attack, Israel vowed to wipe out the Hamas militants governing Gaza, launching airstrikes and a ground offensive in the north.
As of Saturday, Palestinian health authorities reported that around 14,800 people, 40% of them children, have been killed.
The swap on Saturday follows another exchange on Friday, where Hamas released 13 Israeli hostages, including children and the elderly, in exchange for 39 Palestinian women and youth released from Israeli prisons.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

