Gunmen storm television studio in Ecuador
A television studio in Ecuador witnessed some tense moments when masked gunmen broke into it and threatened terrified staff.
Employees were forced onto the floor during the broadcast by the public television channel TC in the city of Guayaquil before the live feed cut out, reported BBC.
The attackers were later seen leaving the studio.
A 60-day state of emergency began in Ecuador on Monday after a notorious gangster vanished from his prison cell, BBC reported.
It is unclear whether the incident at the TV studio in Guayaquil was related to the disappearance from a prison in the same city of the boss of the Choneros gang, Adolfo Macías Villamar, or Fito as he is better known, the British news channel reported.
Police said several people have been arrested in connected with the incident.
Ecuador Police posted on X: "As a result of the intervention in @tctelevision #GYE, our police units have so far managed to arrest several subjects and evidence linked to the crime."
In Peru, the government directed the deployment of the police force to the border to prevent any instability from crossing into the country.
CAPTURADOS
— Policía Ecuador (@PoliciaEcuador) January 9, 2024
Como resultado de la intervención en @tctelevision #GYE, nuestras unidades policiales hasta el momento logran la aprehensión de varios sujetos e indicios vinculados al ilícito.
Posterior más detalles... pic.twitter.com/tPq7FfaGcM
US Embassy in Ecuador said in a statement: "The United States Embassy and Consulate in Ecuador are monitoring reports of criminal activity and other threats to safety and security of U.S. citizens in Ecuador."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

